There’s lots of reasons why you may suffer from conditions aggravated, irritated or even caused by airborne allergens and pollutants.
However, you really shouldn’t have to tolerate this within your own home – it should be a sanctuary, not a sanitorium!
If you’ve spotted any wet looking patches on walls or areas of colour on paint you’re not expecting, you need to ask and research: can damp and mould affect my health? The quick answer is… YES. Here’s how, and the steps to take to prevent it…
What is Damp?
Damp is moisture in the air, diffused onto a solid surface. In the home, this is normally in the form of wet patches on walls and ceilings. This penetrates into the structure of the property, and is primarily caused by residual moisture in the air.
Damp causes damage to a property’s structural integrity, and can cause rot, fungi growth and deterioration of paint, wall structure and wallpaper.
Damp is normally treated by attempting to dry out the affected area completely. However, this is easier said than done – as once the damp has penetrated down deep into the surface, the potential for problems increases.
In the UK, homes tend to be built with damp-proofing materials, specialist drainage and stronger pipes, to prevent damp problems arising before they begin.
What is Mould?
Mould is a type of fungus that decomposes dead, organic material. It some instances, however, it can affect living animals and plants. Mould is a naturally occurring organism, and has spores in the air that’s breathed by everyone daily.
On walls and surfaces in the home, discerning its origins can be an incredibly complex matter. It’s not actually the surface itself feeding the mould, but instead dirt and traces of organic materials within or on it. The mould grows to naturally break down, and decompose this matter.
Mould in the home needs to be chemically treated and dried, to ensure the treatment isn’t only cosmetic. Frequently, the visible mould is scrubbed off, but grows back in cases where the actual cause has been left untreated.