HOME LOGIC LIVINGYour inspiration
- Protective Coatings
- Driveways & Resin Surfacing
- Windows, Doors & Conservatories
- Boilers & Smart Home Products
- Replacement Conservatory & Flat Roofs
- Spray Foam Insulation
- Online EstimatorBEST Offers TODAY!
- HOMEWORLD Shop OnlineGet In TouchGo backProtective Coatings
Do You Know the External Wall Insulation Requirements in the UK?By admin
Thursday, 19 September 2019
It is estimated that there are around seven million properties in the United Kingdom that have solid walls, which means there isn’t any cavities within these walls.
Cavity walls usually enjoy the benefit of internal insulation. So if you have solid walls (which is probably the case if your home was built before the 1920’s), then you will want to know about external wall insulation requirements. This will ensure you get the best possible solution to improve efficiency within the home.
It is important that you know your external walls are responsible for around forty percent of the heat loss you experience during the colder Winter months. Taking the steps to use external wall insulation could save you hundreds each year in your energy bills.
External Wall Insulation Building Control Standards
It is imperative to ensure that if you are having your solid walls upgraded with external insulation that they meet the minimum energy efficiency values, which are shown of the Approved Documents for building control standards.
At this point you may be a little concerned, as you have absolutely no idea what is expected of you.
Before we go any further, you will want to know that in the event the upgrade of exterior wall insulation is not possible or feasible, then it should be upgraded to the best possible standard, with a payback of less than fifteen years.
If twenty five percent or more of your external wall is being renovated, then building regulations do apply, and the thermal insulation must meet the wall insulation requirements advised in the Approved Documents.
Wall Insulation Requirements
You may be wondering exactly how much external wall insulation you need to meet the wall insulation requirements. Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer; it is totally dependent on the material being used, and the surfacing of your wall.
So for a nine-inch brick wall, you need to ensure your U value is a maximum of 0.3, which is the minimum requirement for building regulations.
The wall insulation requirements do change for cavity walls, timber frames and system built walls. So it’s advisable to speak to your installer to ensure the minimum is achieved, based on the U value of the wall.
It is important to note that you don’t always need to get permission to meet the wall insulation requirements. Speak to your installation specialist or your local authority to identify if the following steps are necessary
Speak To Your Local Authority
It is always advisable to have a quick chat with your local authority before pressing ahead with this project, as each authority interprets the wall insulation requirements differently, and you want to ensure you meet the regulations set out in your local area.
Some local areas also expect you to obtain planning permission when it comes to your external wall insulation project.
How To Apply For External Wall Insulation
It is important to note that you don’t always need to get permission to meet the wall insulation requirements. Speak to your installation specialist or your local authority to identify if the following steps are necessary.
In the event you do need to obtain permission, then you will want to follow the steps outlined below:
- You will want to submit some simple scale drawings. This should identify the location plan showing your property and surrounding properties, along with a before and after. Bear in mind that Home Logic Exterior Wall Insulation does not change the exterior of your property, but rather provides an invisible barrier of protection.
- What materials you will be using. This should document any technical information, also how it will be applied to the walls.
- Information regarding the warranty you are being offered in the event there are problems at a later stage, and how they will be corrected. This is very important if you are in a conservation area.
Desperately seeking further information on external wall insulation requirements? Get in touch with our expert team today by calling 0800 1700 636!
Are You In A Conservation Area?
Conservation areas always require planning permission of some kind, though they all vary dramatically. It is advisable to identify what you need to do to ensure your wall insulation requirements are met when it comes to living in a conservation area.
Ensure that when speaking to authorities they are aware that Home Logic Wall Insulation will not change the exterior of your home in any way. It will only provide an invisible barrier, that they won’t even know is there!
Why Home Logic Exterior Wall Insulation?
If you are wondering what makes this such a top brand choice for anyone who is insulating their exterior walls, then there are some important things you will need to know, these include:
- Improves thermal efficiency
- Maintains thermal properties
- Maintains original masonry finish
- 20-year lifetime guarantee
- 17mm penetration
- Reduces water absorption by 95%
Desperately seeking further information on external wall insulation requirements? Get in touch with our expert team today for additional advice, by calling 0800 1700 636, or, alternatively, by simply clicking the button below!Related Home Logic Living Articles
FULL RANGE OF SERVICES:OUR OFFICES:
- External Wall Insulation Problems
- SOLVED: Is Properla Paint Suitable For Garden Walls?
- How To Clean Outside of House Without A Pressure Washer
- Adding Stone Facade To Front of House: A Worthy Investment?
- Insulating Old House Exterior Walls
- Improving Insulation In An Old House
- How to Put Insulation Into Existing Walls
- External Wall Insulation Planning Permission
Home Logic’s continued commitment to you is that we only use the highest quality products, installed to the highest standards.© Home Logic UK Ltd. 2018. All rights reserved. Registered Office: c/o HJS Accountants, 12-14 Carlton Place, Southampton SO15 2EA | Company Registration No: 09125321 | VAT No: 193899534 | Home Logic ® is a registered trademark of Home Logic UK Ltd (UK00003267772) | Home Logic UK Ltd is registered in England and Wales. Home Logic UK Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 765342. We are a credit broker and not a lender and have a facility with a panel of lenders | Home Logic is a trading name of Home Logic UK Ltd
Update Your Preferences