HOME LOGIC LIVINGYour inspiration
- Protective Coatings
- Driveways & Resin Surfacing
- Windows, Doors & Conservatories
- Boilers & Smart Home Products
- Flat Roof & Conservatory Roofs
- Spray Foam Insulation
- Online EstimatorBEST Offers TODAY!
- HOMEWORLD Shop Online
Get In TouchGo backHome Logic Living
SOLVED: Can You Put Wallpaper Over Wallpaper?By admin
Friday, 4 January 2019
Are you thinking of giving your home a facelift? If so, you might be thinking about wallpapering one or more of your rooms. Wallpaper is, after all, a great way to create a brand-new look in your space and with so many patterns, colours and styles to choose from, you really are spoiled for choice.
According to experts, Britain is leading the way with innovative and stylish wallpaper trends, so the world is really your oyster if you’re keen for a room makeover.
If you already have wallpapered rooms, however, you might be wondering if there’s a way to save time and effort. Stripping existing wallpaper from your walls can be time-consuming and, let’s face it, it’s a lot of hard work.
But can you put wallpaper over old wallpaper? That’s a question that homeowners everywhere are asking, and one which we aim to address right here...
Refreshing Your Walls
The good news is that if you’re looking for a time-saving way to make your room look brand-new, it’s often possible to wallpaper over your existing wall coverings. However, it’s important to make sure that your current wallpaper is suitable for papering over first.
If your existing wall covering is peeling, cracked, damaged, or ripped, it may not be the best idea as your new wallpaper will look bumpy and unattractive.
Whether you’re only re-covering a feature wall or your entire room, as long as your existing wallpaper is in good condition you shouldn’t have too much of a problem.
Here are some of the things you should consider, however, before you embark on the process of wallpapering…
The next factor to keep in mind is the pattern and colour of your current wallpaper. If you have a very dark wallpaper or a wall covering with a bold pattern, you may find that if you’re using a light-coloured wallpaper to recover your walls the old wallpaper will show through
What Material Is Your Wallpaper?
The first thing to consider is what kind of material your existing wallpaper is made from. If you have a coated wallpaper with embellishments or embossing, you may want to consider stripping it off first.
Embossed wallpapers usually result in unattractive bumps in the surface of your newly hung wallpaper. If your existing wallpaper is non-coated, you should have no problems.
The Pattern and Colour of Your Wallpaper Matters
The next factor to keep in mind is the pattern and colour of your current wallpaper. If you have a very dark wallpaper or a wall covering with a bold pattern, you may find that if you’re using a light-coloured wallpaper to recover your walls the old wallpaper will show through.
This won’t be a problem, however, if you’re covering your walls with a new dark-coloured wallpaper.
Until quite recently, paint ruled supreme as the ultimate home decoration method, however these days it’s recognised that wallpaper is actually a great way to give any room a contemporary appeal. It’s also a great way to get a coordinated feel for your room along with matching rugs and soft furnishings
Which Wallpapers Are the Best to Cover Old Wall Coverings?
If you’re asking can you put wallpaper over old wallpaper, you’ll need to evaluate your existing wall coverings. If your wallpaper meets all of these criteria, you can go right ahead and start wallpapering!
- Is your wallpaper low gloss or matte?
- Is your wallpaper in good condition?
- Is your wallpaper free from any embellishments or embossing?
- Is your wallpaper a light colour?
Wallpapering Over Existing Wallpaper – A Step by Step Guide
If you’ve decided to go ahead with wallpapering over your existing wallpaper, here is a step by step guide so you can achieve the perfect results.
- Step One – inspect your existing wallpaper. Ensure there aren’t any lumps, bubbles, or tears. Take all nails out of the wall. If you find that there are several layers of wallpaper on your wall, it may be best to remove all the wallpaper and start again for the best results.
- Step Two – a seam sealer is the best way to reattach loose seams. Apply it over the wallpaper’s rear side then use a roller to press the seam down so the sealant sticks firmly.
- Step Three – spackle over patchy areas and holes. You can do this with a putty knife. Allow the spackling to dry before proceeding with the next step.
- Step Four – use a piece of sandpaper to smooth the areas which you’ve spackled.
- Step Five – once all areas have been repaired and sanded, clean your walls with a wallpaper-safe cleaner so all dust is removed. Allow to dry fully before moving onto step six.
- Step Six – prime your walls to ensure your new wallpaper will set firmly.
- Step Seven – begin wallpapering over your old wallpaper. Use a roller to press down the seams and to eradicate uneven spots and air bubbles. Trim excess wallpaper at the sides, bottom and top of your wall using a utility knife. Allow your wallpaper to set completely.
As long as your existing wallpaper is in good condition, you’ll have no difficulty in covering your existing wall coverings with a stylish new wallpaper. Once you’ve finished, it’ll be time to add the perfect finishing touches!
Why Choose Wallpaper?
Now that you know the answer to can you put wallpaper over old wallpaper, you may wonder whether wallpapering is really the best choice for you.
Until quite recently, paint ruled supreme as the ultimate home decoration method, however these days it’s recognised that wallpaper is actually a great way to give any room a contemporary appeal. It’s also a great way to get a coordinated feel for your room along with matching rugs and soft furnishings.
As long as your existing wallpaper is in good condition, you’ll have no difficulty in covering your existing wall coverings with a stylish new wallpaper. Once you’ve finished, it’ll be time to add the perfect finishing touches.
Visit Home Logic today to find stunning living room furniture to complement your new look. Simply call 0800 1700 636, or click the button below to plan out your project today!
Related Home Logic Living ArticlesFULL RANGE OF SERVICES:OUR OFFICES:
Home Logic’s continued commitment to you is that we only use the highest quality products, installed to the highest standards.© Home Logic UK Ltd. 2018. All rights reserved. Registered Office: c/o HJS Accountants, 12-14 Carlton Place, Southampton SO15 2EA | Company Registration No: 09125321 | VAT No: 193899534 | Home Logic ® is a registered trademark of Home Logic UK Ltd (UK00003267772) | Home Logic UK Ltd is registered in England and Wales. Home Logic UK Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. We are a credit broker and not a lender. We offer credit facilities from more than one lender.
Update Your Preferences