HOME LOGIC LIVINGYour inspiration
- Protective Coatings
- Driveways & Resin Surfacing
- Windows, Doors & Conservatories
- Boilers & Smart Home Products
- Replacement Conservatory & Flat Roofs
- Spray Foam Insulation
- Online EstimatorBEST Offers TODAY!
- HOMEWORLD Shop OnlineGet In TouchGo backSpray Foam Insulation
Spray Foam Insulation BrightonBy admin
Tuesday, 5 November 2019
Among many insulation options, spray foam is one of the more commonly used. Spray foam is a chemical product, created by two materials. When you mix isocyanate and polyol resin, they react, and expands up to 30-60 times its liquid volume. As such, spray foam is great insulation product, as you get a small package that can cover a huge area. If you are looking for spray foam insulation Brighton options we have to talk about the insulation in general first...
Properties Of Spray Foam Insulation Brighton
Spray foam has one of the highest R-value of any insulation. As such, spray foam can block all three forms of heat transfer. Those include conductive heat transfer, which is heat transfer from a higher to a lower temperature region.
Spray foam also blocks radiant heat transfer, which is heat energy in the form of light emitted by warm surfaces.
Radiant heat does not require a medium. Last, but not least, spray foam can block convective heat transfer, heat created elsewhere and transported by means of a fluid like water or air.
Closed vs Open Cell Foam: How Do They Compare?
Spray foam insulation can be categorized in two types. The first one is light-density open cell spray foam insulation, and the second is medium density closed cell spray foam insulation. Both are thermoset cellular plastics composed of millions of small cells. What is the difference between those two?
Light density open cell spray foam, or commonly known as half-pound foam is semi-rigid material that has a sponge like appearance. The foam expands during installation, creating small and open cells that are filled with carbon dioxide. Because it can expand, light density open cell spray foam is ideal for cracks and voids.
Open cell spray foam insulation Brighton has an R-Value of around 3.8 per inch. This is not a vapor barrier, something that medium density spray foam is.
As mentioned, medium density closed cell spray foam insulation is rigid insulation material with R-value of about 5-6 per inch. When you install the minimum thickness, which is 50mm, closed cell spray foam acts as an air and vapor barrier.
Spray foam eliminates cold, damp, and draught spots from the outset, paving the way for cosier conditions inside!
Pros and Cons Of Spray Foam Insulation
When you consider spray foam insulation, you have to look at both the pros and cons. There are many benefits, but there are also downsides. Some consider spray foam a better option than cellulose and fibreglass. Others believe spray foam is the worst type of insulation.
- Relatively high price compared to other conventional insulation products. Just for comparison, spray foam is two to three times more expensive than fiberglass
- Sometimes people tend to overuse spray foam, since the insulation is not thick enough. But that applies to closed cell spray foam, which is less thick than open cell foam
- Some people have complained about spray foam not eliminating or reducing moisture damage
- Some people have complained about a strong odour that stayed in the air long after the foam was applied
Important Note About Spray Foam Insulation
It is important to remember that all the above negative points can only occur if spray foam insulation is:
- Applied as a do-it-yourself refurbishment
- Installed by inexperienced contractor, with little knowledge of the product
- Not under warranty of a licensed manufacturer
- Mistaken for a cheaper and poor quality substitute
- Highly effective for walls and house ceilings, eliminating the need of soft/ridge vents
- Spray foam can retain its R-value in extreme weather conditions. The foam does not breakdown into toxic dust, something that happens with your fibreglass insulation. You can use spray foam without any fear of chemical toxins
- Spray foam absorbs sound from both outside and inside the building
- Spray foam eliminates cold, damp, and draught spots
Spray foam can retain its R-value in extreme weather conditions. The foam does not breakdown into toxic dust, something that happens with your fibreglass insulation. You can use spray foam without any fear of chemical toxins
Which Spray Foam Insulation Installer?
As mentioned under Important Note section of this article (see above), you should always take extra care finding the right contractor. Home Logic works closely with Icynene, industry-leading manufacturer of all types of spray foam insulation, that are now available in UK.
Ready to take the next step? Contact our team of spray foam experts today by calling 0800 1700 636, or by clicking the button below!Related Home Logic Living ArticlesFULL RANGE OF SERVICES:OUR OFFICES:
Home Logic’s continued commitment to you is that we only use the highest quality products, installed to the highest standards.© Home Logic UK Ltd. 2018. All rights reserved. Registered Office: c/o HJS Accountants, 12-14 Carlton Place, Southampton SO15 2EA | Company Registration No: 09125321 | VAT No: 193899534 | Home Logic ® is a registered trademark of Home Logic UK Ltd (UK00003267772) | Home Logic UK Ltd is registered in England and Wales. Home Logic UK Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 765342. We are a credit broker and not a lender and have a facility with a panel of lenders | Home Logic is a trading name of Home Logic UK Ltd
Update Your Preferences